Nat'l FF Memorial



YourFirstDue.com Managed web hosting for Fire/EMS

Advertisements


Order Now Do not wait !!!!!



Order now




 DCFD HISTORY
 Print this page

DCFD STATION HISTORY COMPILED BY JIM EMBREY

THANKS!!! to Jim Embrey a retired Lieutenant with the District of Columbia Fire Department who has done extensive research on the departments history. Jim was kind enough to take the time to share his findings with DCFIRE.COM and you.?? AGAIN, THANKS JIM.

There are four books written on the history of the Washington, D.C. Fire Department which have been used in creating this file.? They are: "The Firemen's Record" by J. Albert Cassedy (1893) "History of the Volunteer and Paid Fire Department of the District of Columbia" by Philip W. Nicholson (1936) "One Hundred Years of Glory" by (Committee On Glory)(1971) "Washington D.C. Fire and EMS Department" by Turner Pub. (1997

THE VOLUNTEERS

Before the formation of the D.C. Fire Department the area now known as Washington, D.C. was protected by different volunteer companies in two separate towns, the City of Washington and Georgetown, D.C. (originally Georgetown, Maryland).

City of Washington Volunteers Georgetown Volunteers The town of Georgetown was created in 1751 by the Maryland Assembly and was christened February 27, 1752.

September 8, 1804: The Union Fire Company organized. The company was located at the Western Market at a triangular space formed by 26th street, "I" Street, and Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. in a frame shed at the west end of the Market. This company disbanded after short service but was reorganized in 1814. The apparatus consisted of an old fashioned hand engine (make unknown). In the 1830's they procured and ran a two wheel reel or "crab".
?

September 24, 1804: The "Columbia" organized. The company was located on the east side of the Capitol. The house was destroyed by fire in August 1814 by the British. The house was rebuilt by the U.S. Government and located at New Jersey Ave. and B Street S.E. in 1826.? Also in 1804 (date unknown): The Anacostia Fire Company organized. It was located on Virginia Ave. between 6th & 7th streets S.E. where they remained until 1839 when they moved to 9th street between K & L streets S.E.
?

December 31, 1814: The Alert Engine Company organized and was given charge of the Treasury Department. The company was located in a house south of the Treasury Building but was relocated a few months afterwards near the present north front. From the fact that an appropriation was made in 1815 to replace the Treasury engines, it is presumed that they were destroyed by the British. In 1826, one of the engines was located in a frame house on 13th Street north of Pennsylvania Ave. and was known as the "Star" It was in a few months removed to the corner of 14th & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. and it was the following year reorganized under the name of the Franklin Fire Company. In 1857 they moved to 12th & D Streets N.W.
?

In 1836 (dates unknown) the Union and Perseverance Fire Companies were organized. The Union was located at 19th & H Streets N.W. until 1862 when they moved to 21st Street & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. The Perseverance was located at 8th & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.
?

In 1837 another engine company was organized (possibly the vigilance) location not recorded but was known to be for the protection especially for the War and Navy Departments and other government buildings in that section. This company was in existence until 1864.? In 1840 the Northern Liberty Fire Company was organized. It was located at 8th & K Streets N.W. until 1856 when they moved to 6th Street and New York Ave. N.W. until they disbanded in 1858.
?

On February 22, 1853 The Western Hose Company was organized and located on 23rd Street between L & N Streets N.W.
?

In April 1855, the Metropolitan Hook & Ladder Company was organized and located on Massachusetts Ave. between 4th & 5th Streets.? Also in 1855 (date not known) the American Hook & Ladder Company was organized and located near the old Odd Fellows Club on 8th Street until 1858 when the house was destroyed by fire. Afterwards they located on E Street near South Carolina Ave. S.E.
?

On September 11, 1857, the United States Hose Company was organized. Location not recorded. This company did little service and was short lived. It was never recognized by the regular department
?

Previous to May 19, 1864, the fire department was wholly volunteer, divided into eight engine companies, known as the Union, Franklin, vigilance, Perseverance, Columbia, Northern Liberty, Western Hose & Anacostia and two hook & ladder companies known as the Metropolitan and the American. The volunteer department was disbanded and replaced with a Paid Steam Fire Department. The houses used for the new department were Union for Engine Co. l, Franklin for Engine Co. 2, Columbia for Engine Co. 3, and Metropolitan Hook & Ladder house for the Truck company. The new department was known as the Washington City Fire Department.

In 1789 a cash collection was taken to defray the expense of purchasing a hand engine and fire buckets. Every male inhabitant old enough to vote was a member of Georgetown's first fire department.
?

On October 4, 1803, the mayor was directed to take charge of the engine (now in need of repairs) and to employ some "diligent and careful person" to take care of the engine and buckets, to convey to and from any fire to be paid any reasonable sum per annum not to exceed $30.
?

On July 5, 1805, the town was divided into two wards (east &west) in which a fire company was organized in each.
?

On June 17, 1806, fire hooks, axes and ladders were purchased to be kept at or near the engine house.
?

In 1813 the Potomac Fire Company was organized. On June 28, 1817 the Potomac Fire Co. received a Hunneman hand engine.
?

In 1817 the Vigilant Fire Company was organized with a hand engine built by John Agnew of Philadelphia. The engine house was located on the eastside of 32nd Street. On March 10, 1818 the Vigilant received a Hunneman hand engine. on December 12, 1829 the house was moved to the westside of 32nd Street. The house was sold at auction in 1843 and moved across the street and a new building erected on the same site on August 10, 1844.
?

On May 15, 1819 four fire companies were directed to be organized. The Mechanical Fire Company was one organized this year and received a Hunneman hand engine on February 1, 1819. The company was disbanded in 1826.
?

In 1827 the Eagle Fire Company and the Columbian Hose Company were organized. Location of the Eagle company was not recorded. It was organized on February 1, 1827 and it disbanded in 1831. The Columbian Hose Company organized on March 17, 1827 and was located "south of the Post Office on 31st Street". They received from the Mayor the Hunneman engine from the Mechanical fire Co. It was disbanded in 1837 and the engine sold with the proceeds equally divided between the other companies.
?

In the spring of 1831 the Western Star Fire Company was organized. It succeeded the Eagle Fire Co. and was located on the west side of 32nd Street between Prospect & N Streets. It was decided by the company to purchase a suction engine and 1,000feet of hose with the necessary reel and carriage which was consummated on December 17, 1831. About May 1844 the house was moved to the eastside of Potomac Street between N & 0 Streets. March 26, 1847 an appropriation for the ladders and ladder carriage was made. The hydraulic engine after 26 years of service was sold on December 19, 1857 and the company was disbanded. The hose and reel were afterwards stationed on the north side of 0 street between 29th & 30th Streets in an old shed and conveyed to and from fires as occasions demanded until the formation of the Potomac Hose Company.
?

August 14, 1864 the Potomac Hose Company was organized and located in the house of the former Western Star Engine house.
?

On July 27, 1866 the town reorganized the fire department to one part paid steam fire engine company. The steam engine arrived from the Amoskeag Works, Manchester, New Hampshire and named the "Henry Addison" in March 1867. The vigilant house was used for the new company and was known as the Georgetown Fire Company No. 1 until it was incorporated into the DCFD in 1871.
?

On September 23, 1871 the Corporation of Georgetown was succeeded by the new form of government for the District of Columbia. The City of Washington Fire Department and the Georgetown Fire Company No. 1 were merged with the Georgetown company becoming DCFD Engine Co. 5.

THE PAID DEPARTMENT

On April 25, 1864, legislation was passed to create a part-time paid fire department. The following is an excerpt from the minutes of the meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners, Washington, D.C. July 1, 1864:?

"Commissioners met Mr. Dubank presiding.? Present Mr. John H. Sessford and Robert Boswell. Proceedings of last meeting read and approved.

It was moved and carried that the Secretary request the Mayor to appoint the Chief Engineer immediately for the purpose of placing in his hands the property belonging to the Corporation now in the different Engine Houses and also that the Mayor be requested to give an order for the collection of all the property belonging to the Corporation now in the hands of the old fire department.

It was moved and passed that a suitable person be selected to purchase suitable horses for the use of the Department. The Secretary was directed to write to the agent of the Amoskeag Works at Manchester, New Hampshire and inquire the price of their steam engine same class as the Southwark of Philadelphia and also the price of a hose carriage strong enough to carry one thousand feet of hose.

The Secretary was authorized to publish a notice in the Star stating that the Commissioners having located their several Engine Houses are now prepared to receive applications for membership in the Department.

The following were selected in which to place the apparatus belonging to the paid Fire Department viz: First District -Union Engine House, Second District -Franklin Engine House, Third District - Metropolitan Hook & Ladder House, Fourth District -Columbia Engine House.

It was moved and carried that the report of the committee appointed to draft the Rules and Regulation be received and the same accepted as the Rules and Regulations for the government of the Paid Fire Department. Three hundred copies?were ordered to be printed. The Board adjourned. E. C. Eckloff Secretary. II?

The three Engine Companies were each equipped with a Amoskeag 600 GPM steam fire engine, a hose reel carriage and three horses. Engine 1 hose carriage was purchased from John Rogers & Son, Baltimore, Maryland after conversion to horse drawn. The other two hose reel carriages it is believed came from the volunteer houses.

The Truck was also converted to horse drawn by John Rodgers of Baltimore. They seemed to prove too light for the service and were replaced in 1866, the three new hose reel carriages were built by MacDonald & McDade with a two horse hitch, and the truck was built by Charles C. Langly.?
?

January 5, 1867, Engine Co. 1 moved to new quarters at 1643 K Street N.W.?
February 21, 1870 the new department expanded for the first time with the addition of !South Washington Fire Company No. 4 located at Virginia Ave. & 41/2 Street S.W. The new steam engine was built by Silsby rated at 600 GPM and was named the "Sayles J. Bowen". The hose reel carriage was built by McDermott Bros.?


September 23, 1871 the department became fully paid and the name changed to the District of Columbia Fire Department. The Georgetown Fire Company 1 became DCFD Engine 5 as previously stated.?

Engine 3 moved into temporary quarters in 1874 and then on May ~, 1875 moved into new quarters at Delaware Ave. & D Street N.E. (site now part of Union Station Plaza).?

In 1876 a new 550 GPM Clapp & Jones steam fire engine was purchased named the "Thomas P. Morgan" No.6. It went to Engine 6 on February 17, 1879 with a McDermott Bros. hose reel carriage. Engine Company 6 went in service in the Metropolitan Hook & Ladder House at 438 Massachusetts Ave. N.W. The Truck Company now known as Truck "A", moved to North Capitol between B & C Streets N.E.?

January 17, 1879 Truck Company "B" went in service with a 1877 Babcock Manufacturing Co. Hook & Ladder with 280 feet of ladders. It was located at 1181 New Hampshire Ave. N.W.?

November 17, 1883, Engine Co. 5 moved into the old Georgetown city Hall building at 3210 M Street N.W.?

January 22, 1885 Engine Company 7 was organized located at 931 R Street N.W. It was placed in service with a 1885 Clapp & Jones 450 GPM steam fire engine and a 1879 McDermott Bros. hose reel carriage.?

January 22, 1889 Engine Company 8 was organized and located at 637 North Carolina Ave. S.E. The company went in service with an 1884 Clapp & Jones 450 GPM steam fire engine and an 1889 McDermott Bros. hose reel carriage.?

September 6, 1891 Truck Company "C" was placed in service with the first Chemical Company 1 at 14th Street & Ohio Ave. N.W. Truck C went in service with an 1891 LaFrance/Hayes 85' aerial ladder truck and Chemical Company 1 went in service with an 1891 C. T. Holloway double tank 160 gallon chemical engine.?

September 6, 1893 Engine Company 9 was placed in service and located at 1624 U Street N.W. Engine 9 went in service with an 1893 American/Clapp & Jones 600 GPM steam fire engine and an 1893 E.B. Preston hose reel carriage.?

June 22, 1895 the first Chemical Company 2 was organized and placed in service at 3119 14th Street N.W. with an 1895 C. T. Holloway double tank 170 gallon chemical engine.?

July 2, 1895 Engine Company 10 was placed in service at 1341 Maryland Ave. N.E. with an 1884 Clapp & Jones 450 GPM steam fire engine and an 1895 McDermott Bros. hose reel carriage.?

March 1, 1896 Truck Company "D" was placed in service and located at 219 M Street N.W. with an 1896 LaFrance/Hayes 75' aerial ladder truck.?
On January 5, 1897 Engine Company 2 moved to new quarters at 15th & D Streets N.W. The old house was remodeled and shortly thereafter Chemical Co. 1 moved in, leaving the quarters of Truck Company C.?


July 1, 1897 Engine Company 11 was organized and replaced the first Chemical Co. 2 at 3119 14th Street N.W. with an 1885 Clapp & Jones 450 GPM steam engine and an 1886 McDermott Bros. hose reel carriage. Chemical Company 2 (the second) was reorganized and placed in service at 5760 Georgia Ave. N. W. with the their same apparatus.?

Also on July 1, 1897 Engine Company 12 was placed in service at 1626 North Capitol Street with an 1884 Clapp & Jones 450 GPM steam fire engine and an 1887 E. B. Preston hose reel carriage.?

April 15, 1898 Engine Company 15 was placed in service at Washington & Pierce Streets, Anacostia (these streets are now 14th & V Streets S. E. respectively). Engine 15 went in service with an 1883 Clapp & Jones 450 GPM steam fire engine and an 1889 McDermott Bros. hose reel carriage.?

June 8, 1898 Engine Company 14 was placed in service and located at 413 8th Street N.W. with an 1891 Clapp & Jones 1000?GPM steam fire engine and a hose reel carriage (year and make not known).

November 12, 1900 Truck "E" was organized and placed in service at 3412 S Street N.W. (this part of S Street was renamed Dent Place in 1910). Truck E went in service with a 1900 LaFrance/Hayes 65' aerial ladder truck.?

April 15, 1901 the first water tower was placed in service in the quarters of Truck C with a 1901 Champion style 75' water tower built by the Fire Extinguisher Manufacturing Co.?

May 11, 1901 the first Chemical Company 3 was organized and placed in service at 4300 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. with a 1901 C.T. Holloway double tank 170 gallon chemical engine.?

May 13, 1901 Truck Company "F" was organized and placed in service at 1336 Whitney Ave. N.W. (now Park Road N.W.) with a 1901 LaFrance/Hayes 75' aerial ladder truck and a 1901 C.T. Holloway double tank 70 gallon combination chemical hose wagon.?

January 2, 1902 Chemical Company 4 was organized and placed in service at 1227 Monroe Street N.E. with a 1901 C.T. Holloway double tank 70 gallon combination chemical hose wagon.?

July 23, 1903 Chemical Company 5 was organized and placed in service at 3203 Nichols Ave. S.E. (now Martin Luther King Jr.?Ave. S.E.) with a 1903 American La France double tank 170 gallon chemical engine.?

April 28, 1904 Truck Company "G" was organized and placed in service at 414 8th Street S.E. with an 1891 LaFrance/Hayes 75' aerial ladder truck.?

October 24, 1904 the first Chemical Company 1 was disbanded and replaced by the organization of Engine Company 16 at the same location. Engine 16 went in service with an 1886 Amoskeag 700?GPM steam fire engine (with an 1893 Clapp & Jones boiler) and a hose reel carriage (make and year unknown).?

November 2, 1904 Truck Company "H" was organized and placed?in service with Chemical Company 5. Truck H went in service with a 1904 American La France/Hayes 55' aerial ladder truck.?

November 26, 1904, Engine Company 13 was organized at 942 G Street S.W. with a 1904 American La France Metropolitan 700 GPM steam fire engine and a 1904 American La France 70 gallon double tank combination chemical/hose wagon.?

April 22, 1905 Chemical Company 4 was disbanded and replaced with the organization of Engine Company 17 at the same location. Engine 17 went in service with a 1904 American La France 500 GPM Metropolitan steam fire engine and the same 1901 C.T. Holloway combination chemical/hose wagon used as Chemical 4.?

November 18, 1905 Engine Company 18 was organized at 1001?9th Street S.E. with a 1905 American La France Metropolitan 600 GPM steam fire engine and an 1898 McDermott Bros. hose reel carriage.?

December 8, 1905 the first Fire Boat was placed in service and organized as the first Engine Company 19. The boat was named the "Firefighter" and was built by the Harlan & Hollingsworth Co. of Wilmington, Delaware in 1905 and equipped with two Duplex fire pumps, built by the Blake Pump Co., Cambridge, Mass. and rated at 6,000 GPM total capacity.?

On July 6, 1906 all truck companies began using numbers instead of letters. Truck A became Truck 1, Truck B became Truck 2, etc., etc.?

January 23, 1907 Chemical Company 3 was disbanded and replaced by Engine Company 20 at the same location with a 1906 American La France Metropolitan 500 GPM steam fire engine and a 1907 Seagrave 70 gallon double tank combination chemical/hose wagon.?

January 16, 1908 the second Chemical Company 1 was organized and placed in service at 4201 Minnesota Ave. N.E. Benning, D.C. with a 1901 C.T. Holloway 170 gallon double tank chemical engine.?

September 18, 1908 the second Chemical Company 3 was organized and placed in service at 2700 22nd Street N.E. Langdon, D.C. with a 1908 Robinson 70 gallon double tank combination chemical/hose wagon.?

December 2, 1908 the second Chemical Company 2 was disbanded and replaced with the organization of Engine Company 22 and Truck Company 11. at the same location. Engine 22 went in service with a 1908 American La France Metropolitan 500 GPM steam fire engine and a 1901 C.T. Holloway 70 gallon double tank combination chemical/hose wagon. Truck Company 11 went in service with a?1907 American La France combination 100 gallon chemical, hose, 50' city service truck which had been used as Chemical 2.?

December 28, 1908 Engine Company 21 and Truck Company 9 were organized and placed in service at 1763 Lanier Place N.W. Engine 21 went in service with a 1907 American La France Metropolitan 700 GPM steam fire engine and a 1908 American La France 70 gallon combination chemical/hose wagon. Truck 9 was placed in service with an 1891 LaFrance/Hayes 85' aerial ladder truck.?

March 31, 1910 Truck Company 10 was organized and placed in service at 347 K Street S.W. with a 1908 American La France 65' aerial ladder truck.

On September 24,1910 the DCFD received a 1910 two engine 40 horsepower automobile "Washington" which was built by the Carter Motor Company of Hyattsville, Md. Used by the Chief Engineer.?

November 9, 1910 Engine Company 2 moved to 719 12th Street N.W.?

November 25, 1910 Engine Company 23 was organized and placed in service at 2119 G Street N.W. with a 1909 American La France Metropolitan 700 GPM steam fire engine and a 1910 u.s. Fire Apparatus 70 gallon combination chemical/hose wagon.?
?

On May 16, 1911 the DCFD received a 1911 Waterous 500 GPM gasoline motor driven pumper.?

November 13, 1911 the third Chemical Company 2 was organized and placed in service at 2813 Pennsylvania Ave. S.E. Randle Highlands, D.C. with a 1911 Seagrave 170 gallon double tank chemical engine.?

November 28, 1911 Engine Company 24 was organized and placed in service at 3702 Georgia Ave. N.W. with a 1911 Waterous 500 GPM motor pumper. (ran as combination hose wagon and pumper) First DCFD company motorized.?

July 2, 1913 Chemical Company 5 was disbanded and replaced with the organization of Engine Company 25 at the same location. Engine 25 went in service with a 1913 Ahrens Fox 700 GPM motor pumper. (ran as combination hose wagon and pumper).?

July 7, 1913 Truck Company 12 was organized and placed in service at the quarters of Engine 20 with a 1913 Webb/Couple Gear gasoline/electric 75' aerial ladder truck.?

July 9, 1913 the second Chemical Company 3 was disbanded and replaced with the organization of Engine Company 26 at the same location. Engine 26 went in service with an 1893 Clapp & Jones 600 GPM steam fire engine and the same US Fire Apparatus combination chemical/hose wagon used as Chemical 3.?

On May 24 & 25, 1914 first Christie Front Wheel Drive Tractors installed on DCFD horse drawn aerial ladder and horse drawn steamer converting them to motorized units.?

June 15, 1914 the second Chemical Company 1 was disbanded and replaced by the organization of Engine Company 27 at the same location. Engine 27 went in service with a 1906 American La France Metropolitan 500 GPM steam fire engine and a 1903 American La France 70 gallon double tank combination chemical/hose wagon.?

On November 26, 1916 Engine Company 3 and Truck Company 1 moved to new quarters at 439 New Jersey Ave. N.W.?

December 1, 1916 Engine Company 28 was organized and placed in service at 3522 Connecticut Ave. N.W. with a 1915 American La France 750 GPM pumper and a 1915 American La France gasoline combination chemical/hose wagon.?


September 28, 1920 the Fire Boat is renumbered to Fireboat No.1 and the third Chemical Company 2 was disbanded and replaced by the organization of the second Engine Company 19. Engine 19 went in service with an 1889 Clapp & Jones 600 GPM steam fire engine and a 1908 American La France 70 gallon double tank combination chemical/hose wagon.?

January 1, 1922 the horse drawn water tower placed in reserve at the fire department stables.?

January 20, 1925 Rescue Squad 1 was organized and placed in service in the quarters of Engine 2 at 719 12th Street N.W. as a separate unit. Rescue Squad 1 went in service with a 1913 Seagrave hose wagon converted by the DCFD repair shop to a rescue squad wagon and a 1921 Cadillac 7 passenger touring car converted to an ambulance by the DCFD repair shop.?

December 9, 1925 Engine Company 29 was organized and placed in service at 4811 Conduit Road N.W. (now renamed MacArthur Blvd.) with a 1919 American La France 750 GPM pumper and a 1919 American La France gasoline combination chemical/hose wagon.?

Also on December 9,1925 Truck Company 13 was organized and placed in service at 1342 Florida Ave. N.E. with a 1925 Seagrave 75' aerial ladder truck.?

June 15, 1926 Truck Company 14 was organized and placed in service with Engine 28 at 3522 Connecticut Ave. N.W. with a 1915 Christie Front Wheel Drive Tractor attached to a 1908 American La France 65' aerial ladder truck.?

June 17, 1927 a site at 16th & Webster Streets N.W. was acquired for the organization of Engine Company 30. However due to zoning restrictions in the deed, the company was not formed.?

June 18, 1927 Rescue Squad No.2 was organized and placed in service as a combination unit with Engine Company 11. When dispatched as a Rescue Squad, Engine 11's hose wagon was used as the Rescue Squad. Engine 11's pumper would then be staffed by extra men from nearby Truck Company 6 and then Engine 11 would be back in service running as a single piece engine company until the wagon returned. The hose wagon was a 1926 Seagrave hose wagon with added rescue equipment by DCFD repair shop.?

In 1929 (exact date not known) the first foam unit was placed in service and was known as the "AMDYCO" truck. The original piece was an old Ford truck with the AMDYCO foam generator and powder.?

November 28, 1930 Engine Company 31 was organized and placed in service at 4930 Connecticut Ave. N.W. with a 1931 American La France 750 GPM pumper and a 1931 American La France booster hose wagon.?

June 30, 1931 Engine Company 16 moved to the quarters of Truck Company 3 and the Water Tower at 14th Street & Ohio Ave. N.W.?
In the fiscal year 1932 reserve water tower 2 placed in the quarters of Truck Co. 6.?

December 16, 1932 Engine Company 16, Truck Company 3, and Water Tower No.1 moved to new quarters at 1018 13th Street N.W.?

April 21, 1937 Truck Company 15 was organized and placed in service at 1340 Brentwood Road N.E. (address later changed to 1340 Rhode Island Ave. N.E.) with a reserve 1919 American La France 85' aerial ladder truck. It was replaced shortly thereafter with a 1923 American La France 75' aerial ladder truck.?

In 1940 a consultant's report recommended consolidating many companies for an economical improvement to the department. Thus the following companies were relocated.?

June 4, 1940 Engine 10 moved to the quarters of Truck 13.?and Engine 11 moved to the quarters of Truck 6.?

June 10, 19040 Engine 26 moved into the quarters of Truck 15 on Rhode Island Ave NE

June 30, 1940 Engine 18 moved to the quarters of Truck 7.

July 2, 1940 Engine 5 moved to the quarters of Truck 5.
?
Sept. 12, 1940 Engine 7 moved to the quarters of Truck 10.?? Engine 4 moved to the old quarters of Engine 7.
?
?On July 22, 1943 Ambulance 2 was placed in service as part of Rescue Squad 2 with a 1943 Meteor/Chevrolet ambulance.
?
In Fiscal Year 1944 (sometime after ambulance 2 was placed?in service) Ambulance 3 was placed in service in the quarters of Engine 31 at 4930 Connecticut Ave. N.W. with a 1930 Buick/Flexible Ambulance.???
?
May 4, 1945 Truck Company 16 was organized and placed in service with Engine 19 at 2813 Pennsylvania Ave. S.E. with a 1925 Seagrave 75' aerial ladder truck.
?
June 14, 1945 Engine Company 14 moved to new quarters at 4801 North Capitol St. N.E.?
?
April 14, 1946 Rescue Squad No.1 moved to the old quarters of Engine 14 with Amb. 1.
?
May 9, 1946 Rescue Squad 2 was organized and placed in service as a separate unit from the combination unit with Engine 11.? The original apparatus for Rescue Squad 2 was the hose wagon of Engine 11 until a new pumper was converted by the DCFD shop to rescue squad service. This was a 1945 Buffalo 750 GPM pumper.?
?
May 21, 1946 Rescue Squad 2 and Ambulance 2 moved to the quarters of Engine Company 14 at 4801 North Capitol St. N.E.
?
September 10, 1946 Fire Boat 1 moved to the old Coast Guard wharf at Maine Ave. & N St S.W.
?
March 9, 1953 Rescue Squad 1 moved back to the quarters of Engine Company 2 at 719 12th St. N.W.?
?
March 27, 1955 Engine Company 30 and Truck Company 17 were organized and placed in service at #50 49th Street N.E.?? Engine 30 went in service with a 1939 Buffalo 750 GPM hose wagon and a 1936 Pirsch 750 GPM pumper.? Truck 17 went in service with a 1938 Pirsch 100' aerial ladder.?
?
October 12, 1957 Engine Company 32 was organized and placed in service at 2425 Irving St. S.E. with a 1957 Mack B model 750 GPM hose wagon and a 1955 Ward La France 750 GPM pumper.?
?
April 14, 1958 Rescue Squad 2 moved to the quarters of Engine 24 at 3702 Georgia Ave. N.W.
?
June 14, 1958 Rescue squad 3 was organized and placed in service at the quarters of Engine 32 located at 2425 Irving St. S.E. with a 1957 Pirsch Custom Rescue Squad.?
?
September 29, 1960 Truck 10 moved to new quarters at 450 6th Street S.W.
?
October 21, 1960 Engine 13 and the Foam Unit moved to new quarters with Truck 10 at 450 6th St. S.W.?
?
October ?, 1960 Engine 1 and Truck 2 moved to new quarters at 2225 M Street N.W.?
?
October 12, 1961 Engine Company 7 moved to new quarters at 1101 Half Street S.W. (At the DCFD Repair Shop)
?
March 25, 1964 Engine Company 8 moved to new quarters at 1520 C Street S.E.
?
April 30, 1965 Rescue Squad 3 moved to the quarters of Engine 8 at 1520 C St. S.E.?
?
October 24, 1966 Engine Company 9 moved to new quarters at 1617 U Street N.W.
?
December 7, 1968 Engine Company 15 moved to new quarters at 2101 14th Street S.E. (On site of old quarters).
?
July 8, 1974 Eng 6 and Rescue Sq 1 moved to new quarters 1300 New Jersey Ave. N.W .?
?
July 12, 1974 Rescue Squad 3 moved to the quarters of Engine 15 at 2101 14th St. S.E.?
?
July 15, 1974 Truck 7 moved to the quarters of Engine 8 at 1520 C St. S.E.
?
July 26, 1974 Truck 4 moved to new quarters with Engine 6 at 1300 New Jersey Ave. N.W.?
?
October 10, 1976 Rescue Squad 4 was organized and placed in service as a combination unit with Engine 31 at 4930 Connecticut Ave. N.W. with a 1966 Ford/Bruco Custom Rescue Squad.
?
October 10, 1976 Rescue Squad 1 became a combination unit with Engine 6 and Rescue Squad 3 became a combination unit with Engine 15 each retaining their apparatus.?
?
October 22, 1976 Engine Company 4 and Rescue Squad 2 moved to new quarters at 2531 Sherman Ave. N.W.?
?
October 27, 1976 Truck Company 9 moved to the quarters of Engine 9 at 1617 U St. N.W.
?
November 8, 1977 Truck 16 moved to the quarters of Engine 15 at 2101 14th St. S.E.?
?
May 5, 1979 Engine Co.2 and Truck Co. 1 moved to new quarters at 500 F St.? N.W.?
?
July 16, 1979 Truck 7 moved back to it's original quarters with Engine 18 at 414 8th St. S.E.
?August 3, 1980 Rescue Squad 2 became a combination unit with Engine 4 each retaining their apparatus.?
?
In 1981 Fire Boat 2 went in service with Fire Boat 1 with a former Coast Guard Patrol/Utility Boat rated 225 GPM @ 150 psi.?
?
October 2, 1983 Rescue Squad 2 and Rescue Squad 3 went back to full service separate units.
?
February 1, 1984 the Hazardous Material Unit was organized and placed in service as a combination unit with Rescue Squad 3 at 2101 14th St. S.E. with a reserve 1966 Ford/Bruco Rescue Squad converted by DCFD shop to HazMat Unit.?
?
February 5, 1984 Rescue Squad 4 went in service as a separated unit with a 1969 Ford/Bruco Custom Rescue Squad.?
?
April 1, 1984 Rescue Squad 1 went back to a full service separate unit.?
?
June 5, 1984 Engine Company 11 and Truck Company 6 moved to new quarters at 3420 14th Street N.W.?
?
June 25, 1985 Truck 16 moved back to it's original quarters with Engine 19 at 2813 Pennsylvania Ave. S.E.?
?
October 7, 1986 The Hazardous Material Unit became a full service separate unit with a 1971 Ford/Bruco Custom Rescue Squad.?
?
January 11, 1987 Engine Company 33 was organized and placed in service at 101 Atlantic Street S.E. with a 1971 Ford/Young 750 GPM hose wagon and a 1965 Pirsch 750 GPM pumper.?
?
January 12, 1987 Truck Company 5 moved to the quarters of Engine 29 at 4811 MacArthur Blvd. N.W.?
?
April 30, 1987 HazMat Unit and Engine Co. 12 moved to new quarters at 2225 5th Street N.E.?
?
October 1, 1987 DCFD acquired St. Elizabeth Hospital for?the Insane Fire Department from the Federal Government.? It was designated Engine 34 with a 1985 E-One Spartan 1250 GPM Pumper.
?
November 1, 1987 Truck 8 moved to the quarters of Engine 33 at 101 Atlantic St. S.E.?
?
January 17, 1989 the Cave-In unit was placed in service as combination unit with Rescue Squad 3 with a 1980 Chevrolet Step Van.?

December 1, 1989 Truck 16 moved to the quarters of Engine 32 at 2425 Irving St. S.E.?

October 31, 1993 Engine Company 3 and Engine company 34 were disbanded and placed out of service due to staff and budget problems.

May 7, 1995 Engine Company 24 and Rescue Squad 2 moved to new quarters at 5101 Georgia Ave. N.W also on this day??Truck Company 1 and Rescue Squad 4 were disbanded and placed out of service.?
?
March 14, 2000 Engine Company 3 was reorganized and placed back in service at 431 New Jersey Ave. N.W. with a 1993 E-One "Cyclone" 1500 GPM pumper.
?
?
THE BATTALIONS
?

Some information on the organization of the battalions is not known at this time.? Some errors were made in the 125th Anniversary book "Washington D.C. Fire & EMS Department" published by Turner Publishing (1997) and have been corrected in this file.?
In late 1883 a two battalion system was established by promoting the foreman of each truck company to "Assistant Chief Engineer".?
The First Assistant Chief was the senior chief.? Both Chiefs used old buggies until two new McDermott Bros. buggies?were purchased in 1886.? The First Assistant Chief Engineer was stationed at Truck B & the 2nd Assistant Chief Engineer was stationed at Truck A.?

In the fiscal year of 1905 the Third Battalion was created.? The following is quoted from the 1905 Annual Report: "CHANGE OF TITLES.? The acts affecting the District of Columbia passed by the Fifty-eighth Congress created the offices of deputy chief engineer and three battalion chief engineers, instead of assistant chief engineers as formerly.?

The acts also authorized the change in title of foreman to that of captain, and created the position of lieutenant.? The change in title of fireman to that of assistant engineer was also authorized.?

There were also created the new offices of marine engineer, assistant marine engineer, and two pilots to man the new fireboat.? Such change in titles has long been advocated by the department.? The titles now adopted by the local department are uniform with those used by all large fire departments in the cities of the United States."?

?The Third Battalion was organized and placed in service in?the quarters of Truck D with a 1902 McDermott Bros. buggy.? The Deputy Chief Engineer was organized and placed in service at the quarters of Truck C with an 1898 McDermott Bros. buggy.? The Deputy Chief Engineer was second in command of the department.? The battalions consisted of the following companies:?
?
First Battalion: Engines 1,2,5,9,11 Trucks B,C,E (2,3,5) and Chemical No.3.
?
Second Battalion: Engines 3,4,8,10,15,16 Trucks A,G (1&7) and Chemical No.5
?
Third Battalion: Engines 6,7,12, 13, 14,17 Trucks D,F (4 & 6) and Chemical No.2.
?
Between 1906 and 1909 the battalions reorganized.? The first battalion was now at Truck 4, second battalion at Truck 2, and the third battalion at Truck 1.?

In the fiscal year 1911 the Fourth Battalion was organized and placed in service at Truck 6 with a 1896 McDermott buggy.The Deputy Chief Engineer moved to the quarters of Engine 14.?

?
November 16, 1922 the Fifth Battalion was organized and?placed in service at the quarters of Engine 28 with a 1922 Dodge Roadster.?
?
December 9, 1925 the Central Battalion was organized and placed in service at the quarters of Engine 2 with a 1925 Jordan Roadster.? On this date the First Battalion Chief moved to the quarters of Engine 12 and the Third Battalion Chief moved to the quarters of Engine 8.?
?
July 1, 1931 the Central Battalion disbanded to form the Sixth Battalion remaining at the quarters of Engine 2 with a 1926 Peerless Roadster.? The same day the Seventh Battalion was organized and placed in service at the quarters of Engine 14 with a 1929 Graham-Paige Roadster.?
?
In the fiscal year 1942 the Fourth Battalion Chief moved to the quarters of Engine 24.?
?
In the fiscal year 1945 the Third Battalion Chief moved to the quarters of Engine 19 and the Seventh Battalion Chief moved to the quarters of Engine 3.?
?
In the fiscal year 1955 the Sixth Battalion Chief moved to the quarters of Engine 16.?
?
June 22, 1958 the Eighth Battalion was organized and placed in service at the quarters of? Engine 30 with a 1952 Chevrolet Sedan.?
?
Also June 22, 1958?Third Battalion? Chief moved to the quarters of Engine 15.?
?
The battalions now consisted of the following companies:
?
First Battalion: Engines 4,10,12*,17,26 Trucks 4,13,15?
?
?Second Battalion: Engines 1,5,9,23,29 Trucks 2*,5?
?
?Third Battalion: Engines 15*,25,32 Truck 8 Rescue squad 3?
?
Fourth Battalion: Engines 11,14,22,24* Trucks 6,11 Rescue Squad 2?
?
?Fifth Battalion: Engines 20,21,28*,31 Trucks 9,12,14?
?
?Sixth Battalion: Engines 2,6,13,16* Trucks 3,10 Rescue Squad 1 Fireboat Foam Wagon.
?
?Seventh Battalion: Engines 3*,7,8,18 Trucks 1,7?
?
?Eighth Battalion: Engines 19,27,30* Truck 16,17

* Denotes battalion headquarters?

October 1961 Second Battalion Chief moved to new quarters with Engine 1 and Truck 2.?

In the Fiscal Year 1974 Seventh Battalion Chief moved to the quarters of Engine 18.?

In the Fiscal Year 1979 First Battalion Chief moved to the quarters of Engine 6.

June 5, 1984 Fourth Battalion Chief moved to new quarters with Engine 11 and Truck 6.

?April 1987 First Battalion Chief moved to new quarters with Engine 12 and the Hazmat Unit.
?
November 1, 1992 Second Battalion disbanded.?
?
May 7, 1995 Seventh and Eighth Battalions disbanded. New Second Battalion Chief eorganized and placed in service at the quarters of Engine 8 with a 1990 Ford Station Wagon.?
?
First Battalion: Engines 6,12,14,17,26 Trucks 4,15 Hazmat unit?
?
?Second Battalion: Engines 7,8,10,18,27,30 Trucks 7,13,17 Air unit
?
?Third Battalion: Engines 15,19,25,32,33 Trucks 8,16 Res.? Squad 3?
?
?Fourth Battalion: Engines 4,9,11,22,24 Trucks 4,9,11 Res.? Squad 2?Metro support unit?.
?
?Fifth Battalion: Engines 5,20,21,28,29,31 Trucks 5,12,14?
?
?Sixth Battalion: Engines 1,2,13,16,23 Trucks 2,3,10 Res.? Squad 1 Fireboat Foam unit, Twin agent unit, Deputy Fire Chief, Command unit.?
March 14, 2000 Engine Co. 3 was added to the 2nd Battalion and Engine 10 & Truck 13 were placed in the 1st Battalion.

?


?






Login



Copyright © 2006-2014. YourFirstDue Inc.. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Content on this web site is supplied by dcfire.com. YourFirstDue Inc. cannot be held responsible or liable for any content, text, pictures, or any other media found on this web site. Maintained by the members and staff of dcfire.com.

This site has been
viewed 3,284,770 times.